Laguna Beach Aesthetics
Adrienne O'Connell, DO
Microneedling is safe for all skin types and used to improve wrinkles, minimize pore size, and induce skin tightening. Microneedling can also be used to improve stretch marks and crepey skin. Contact Laguna Beach Aesthetics to learn more!
What is Microneedling?
Microneedling, also called Collagen Induction Therapy, is a technique that uses tiny sterile micro-needles to create very small, controlled “injuries” to the skin. These microscopic injuries then heal, resulting in collagen and elastin rejuvenation. It also allows for active ingredients to be absorbed into the deeper skin layers. Microneedling is safe for all skin types and is used to improve wrinkles, minimize pore size and induce skin tightening. It stimulates collagen production which promotes rejuvenation and improves surgical, traumatic, burn and acne scars as well as hyperpigmentation (brown spots and melasma). Microneedling has also been shown to improve stretch marks and crepey skin.
Dr. O’Connell uses the DermaPen for microneedling, which uses sterile, disposable cartridges.
Treatments are usually performed monthly.
- -Avoid retinoids and treatments for auto-immune disease for 24 hours before your treatment
- -Avoid sun exposure to the treated area for 24 hours before your treatment
-Clean face (no makeup)
- -Do not schedule this procedure if you have used Accutane/Isotretinoin within the last 6 months.
- ***If having microneedling with PRP, be sure to drink lots of fluids several hours before your appointment to allow for a successful blood draw. If you are dehydrated and we cannot obtain enough blood, your appointment will need to be rescheduled or done without PRP.
Your appointment will begin with application of a topical numbing cream to the treated area. The skin is then cleansed with alcohol to obtain sterility. A solution of Hyaluronic Acid, PRP and/or Stem Cell Serum is painted on the skin both before and after microneedling. The microneedling pen is set to a depth that achieves pin-point bleeding and induces thousands of controlled micro-injuries into the skin. This triggers the skin’s natural repair process involving generation of growth factors, new collagen and elastin formation and therefore, improving signs of aging. This process causes much less damage to the skin than dermal rolling.
- Post treatment, the patient should avoid washing the treated area for 4-6 hours. During the
- first 1-3 days you will look red (like a sunburn) and your skin may feel warm and tight. For the
- first 3 days: use a gentle cleanser, sunscreens and gentle moisturizers. Avoid swimming,
- strenuous activity, exercising and sun exposure.
- Microneedling can be coupled with PRP (platelet-rich-plasma). When used with PRP, the serum
- is absorbed through the micro injuries created by the Derma-Pen allowing for further collagen
- creation and tissue enhancement, thus leading to increased skin rejuvenation. Additional
- information and instructions when used with PRP can be found on our PRP Vampire Facial page.
- Many people will see results after just one treatment and results are cumulative. Usually results
- are reported 1-2 weeks after the initial treatment, with maximum results observed by 3-6
- months. For optimal results, we recommend a series of 3 monthly treatments.